ScraperWiki Classic is now read-only.

But don’t worry! You can transfer this scraper to if you want to continue editing it.

Transfer to

Current status

Idle – next run ASAP

Last run

1 week, 3 days ago

Scraped 412 pages from

About this scraper

This scraper has no description.

This scraper is public

Anyone can see this scraper, and any registered user can edit it.

Users who have contributed to this scraper:

fax city_history name phone url address_shipping year_incorporated county source address email population
(386) 418-6175 Incorporated 1905. The city was incorporated when a railway depot for the area was moved from Newnansville to the city's present site. The city history can be traced back to the first half of the 18th century, and its name appears to have gone unchanged since that time. "Alachua" is a derivative of the Seminole-Creek Indian word "luchuwa," meaning jug or sink and was apparently given when the place was first settled by Creeks who came down from Oconee in Georgia. The "jug" which called forth the name was derived from the regular occurrence of sinkholes due to the porous lime rock underlying most of the area. Starting off as a farming community, the city's economy today is more industrial- and urban-based. Alachua (386) 418-6100 PO Box 9 Alachua, FL 32616-0009 1905 Alachua 15100 NW 142nd Terrace Alachua, FL 32615 9300
(850) 579-2523 Incorporated 1911. The town was named for S. A. Alford and Chauncey Alford, who were pioneer Naval store operators in the vicinity in the early part of the century. Alford (850) 579-4684 0 PO Box 128 Alford, FL 32420-0128 1959 Jackson 1768 Georgia St Alford, FL 32420-6800 499
(407) 571-8123 Incorporated 1920. Altamonte Springs became a haven for Northerners seeking relief from the cold winters. A group of Boston businessmen purchased 1,200 acres of high, lake-dotted pineland three miles northeast of what they called "Snow Junction" and formed the Altamonte Land and Navigation Company. They chose the name Altamonte because it means "high hill" in Spanish. They planned to build a navigable waterway between Altamonte's many lakes and the St. Johns River . In 1883, they built a luxurious hotel on the shores of Lake Orienta. Springs were discovered on Lake Adelaide across the road from the hotel and the hotel erected a Spring House to pipe water across the road to the hotel. In 1887, the United States Post Office granted a name change from Snow Junction to Altamonte Springs. Altamonte Springs (407) 571-8121 1920 Seminole 225 Newburyport Ave Rear Altamonte Springs, FL 32701-3693 42495
(850) 762-8983 Incorporated 1946. The post office at Altha was established in 1901 and the postmaster, Lula M. Richards, chose the name. Mrs. Richards studied a postal guide containing 5,000 names and chose Altha because there was only one other office with that name and it was far away. Altha (850) 762-3280 0 PO Box 6 Altha, FL 32421-0006 1946 Calhoun 564
(941) 708-6134 Incorporated 1926. Not only is the origin of the name of Anna Maria in doubt, but also even its pronunciation is a matter for dispute. "Anna Mar-eye-a" has been the favorite of many oldtimers, but islanders nowadays are said to prefer "Anna Mar-ee-a." Anna Maria (941) 708-6130 PO Box 779 Anna Maria, FL 34216-0779 1923 Manatee 1524
(850) 653-2205 Incorporated 1831. Apalachicola and Franklin County were prosperous in 1860. Situated at the mouth of the Apalachicola River and originally sustained by river traffic, Apalachicola was called Cottonton (or Cotton Town ) in the early 1800s, and then renamed West Point in 1828. Apalachicola was officially named in 1831. According to some authorities, " Apalachicola " is a Hitchiti Indian word, which means simply, "the people on the other side." However, apalachi is a Choctaw word signifying "allies." The settlement of the present site of the town dates back to the times of the Creek Indians and, since it is located at the tip of a considerable peninsula just west of the mouth of a river, the first version explains how the word might have become the designation of those who lived there. It later was applied to the river and the bay into which it empties. Of strategic military importance to both the North and the South during the Civil War, Apalachicola 's economy was adversely affected by the rebuilding and further development of the railroad after the war. It was in the 1920s that the commercial oyster cultivation was begun. Apalachicola grew up almost like an island, with the river on the north, the bay on the east and the Gulf to the south. Then, on November 11, 1935 , the Dr. John Gorrie Memorial Bridge was opened and dedicated. It opened the span of Florida 's West Coast Scenic Highway, U.S. 98. Apalachicola is the county seat. Apalachicola (850) 653-9319 1831 Franklin 1 Avenue E Apalachicola, FL 32320-2718 2258
(407) 703-1705 Incorporated 1882. The city was established in 1840 and was known as "The Lodge" from the mid-1800s. Orange Lodge #36 was built in 1859, having been founded in 1856. Boundaries were one mile in each direction from the lodge building, which was the center of activity until the Town of Apopka City was chartered on December 29, 1882 . The Orange Lodge building's lower story served as the school, post office, church and general store until 1905. Through a special act of the Legislature, the name was changed to City of Apopka in 1967. According to tradition, the Indian name "Apopka" means "big potato." Apopka (407) 703-1700 PO Box 1229 Apopka, FL 32704-1229 1882 Orange 120 E Main St Apopka, FL 32703-5346 44129
(863) 494-4712 Incorporated 1901. The city was first called Waldron's Homestead , then Tater Hill Landing and finally Arcadia . Local tradition denies that the name has anything to do with Arcadia in Greece or Arcadia in Louisiana . Instead the Reverend James "Boss" Hendry, who built a sawmill here on July 23, 1884 , his 45th birthday, named the town. The day before, Arcadia Albritton, daughter of pioneer settlers at Lilly on Horse Creek, had baked him a birthday cake. Arcadia (863) 494-4114 PO Box 351 Arcadia, FL 34265-0351 1886 DeSoto 23 N Polk Ave Arcadia, FL 34266-3953 7540
(352) 495-2445 Incorporated 1850. The town was established by the Florida Land Company (or the Florida Town Improvement Company) of Fernandina Beach , Florida , probably in anticipation of construction of the Florida Railroad from Fernandina Beach to Cedar Key. David Levy Yulee was granted a charter in 1855 to build the railroad and the first trains arrived in 1859. The city was first called Deer Hammock. The current name of Archer was derived from James T. Archer, Florida 's first secretary of state (1845-1849), who was an advocate of internal improvement. In 1880, Quakers from Ohio and Indiana organized a company that planted extensive orange groves using rows of oak trees as windbreaks. The freezes of 1894-1895 destroyed the orange groves. The Maddox Foundry, established in 1905 by H. Maddox, continues as a major industry. Archer remains an agricultural center. Archer (352) 495-2880 PO Box 39 Archer, FL 32618-0039 1850 Alachua 16870 SW 134th Ave Archer, FL 32618-5410 1123
(352) 742-1970 Incorporated 1927. Lake Harris , on which this town is situated, was formerly called Lake Astatula . The translation of this Indian word differs, including "smiling waters," "rippling waters," "sunbeam," "sparkling waters," "tinted waters" and "rainbow waters." One more authority, who turns his back on such poetic interpretation, says the word comes from "ista," meaning "people," and "italwa," meaning "tribes," and hence means "people of many tribes." Still another points out that "atula" is the Timucuan word for "arrow." The use of the name goes back to around 1880. Astatula (352) 742-1100 PO Box 609 Astatula, FL 34705-0609 1927 Lake 25019 County Road 561 Astatula, FL 34705-9513 1793
(904) 247-5846 Incorporated 1926. Three seaside communities, now called Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach and Jacksonville Beach, lie contiguous to one another about 14 miles southeast of the metropolis of Jacksonville. Formerly, the territory of all three was included in what was called Pablo Beach, after the Spanish form of Paul. A post office was established here in October 1884 and Pablo Beach was incorporated on May 22, 1907 . Atlantic Beach , named after the Atlantic Ocean , started as a small settlement around 1900 when Henry Flagler, builder of the Florida East Coast Railway and developer of many towns along its route, built the Mayport branch of the Florida East Coast Railway and erected a station just north of the site now known as the Richard Bull Memorial Park . The Continental Hotel, with approximately 300 rooms, was built on a tract of land lying between the depot and the beach facing the Atlantic Ocean . The land around the hotel for several blocks was subdivided and sold for summer homes about 1901. The developers had a nine-hole golf course west of the depot and used many promotional activities to attract tourists and summer residents. A paved highway leading from Jacksonville was built in 1910. In 1912, 1913 and 1914 there was quite a boom, with auto races on the beach, air shows and other entertaining features offered. In 1913, the railroad sold most of the land to the Atlantic Beach Corporation, which was headed by Ernest R. Brackett. Mr. J.C. Turner joined Mr. Brackett in the investment and they paved streets, added lights, put in sewerage and extended water lines. During World War I, people were afraid to come to the coast and the Atlantic Beach Corporation finally went into bankruptcy. However, following the war, land began to sell again and the settlement began to grow. In 1925, when the present town of Jacksonville Beach was incorporated, Atlantic Beach and Neptune Beach broke away and established themselves separately. In 1926, Atlantic Beach was incorporated as a town and the governor appointed Harcourt Bull, Sr. as the first mayor. In 1929, the charter was passed by the Legislature and approved by a vote of the people. About this same time, paving and widening of the beach road was completed and the Florida East Coast Railway abandoned its service to the beaches. The town acquired a tract of land from the railroad, which was a part of the right-of-way and developed the town park and Town Hall site. In 1931, the Town Hall burned down, costing the life of the Town Marshal Patrick. A City Hall was built in 1932 and was used until 1991 when a new one was built. (The old City Hall building is now being used as a community center and houses the parks and recreation office.) The Continental Hotel, which was a wooden structure, burned and W.H. Adams, Sr. bought the property and built the present Atlantic Beach Hotel. In 1933 and 1934, the town built the present concrete bulkhead that was financed through 20-year bonds in Atlantic Beach (904) 247-5800 1926 Duval 800 Seminole Rd Atlantic Beach, FL 32233-5444 12851
(561) 642-1806 Incorporated 1959. This 834.38-acre development was formerly known as Mulberry Farms and was owned by former State Senator Phil Lewis, who raised Brahman cattle. In 1958, Nathan Hunt and Paul Kintz purchased the ranch and the two remaining parcels along Lantana Road . They sought to develop what is now one of the most aesthetically beautiful country club communities in the country. Atlantis (561) 965-1744 1959 Palm Beach 260 Orange Tree Dr Atlantis, FL 33462-1130 2018
(863) 965-5583 Incorporated 1911. This community was first established under the name of Sanatoria, from a hotel erected by early settlers. William Van Fleet started a railroad in 1883 to go from Kissimmee to Tampa and in 1887 Auburndale was founded (a shift from the earlier site) with a station near the halfway mark. The railroad construction supervisor asked Mrs. Pulsifer, wife of the publisher of the Boston Herald, to name the town and she named it Auburndale after her hometown in Massachusetts . Growth proceeded well until 1911, when most of the downtown area was destroyed by fire. In 1927, the city built the present City Hall at a cost of $60,000. Auburndale (863) 965-5530 PO Box 186 Auburndale, FL 33823-0186 1911 Polk 1 Bobby Green Pl Auburndale, FL 33823-3467 14009
(305) 466-8939 Incorporated 1995. On November 7, 1995 , the residents of Aventura voted in favor of creating their own city in order to improve the quality of government services and provide the area with the opportunity to control its own destiny. In March 1996, the first mayor and council members took office. The City Council appointed its city attorney and city manager and the City of Aventura Government Center opened in June 1996. The council members are now referred to as commissioners, per a charter change Aventura (305) 466-8900 1995 Miami-Dade 19200 W Country Club Dr Aventura, FL 33180-2403 36725
(863) 452-4413 Incorporated 1891. Avon Park (863) 452-4400 1913 Highlands 110 E Main St Avon Park, FL 33825-3945 9189
(305) 868-6575 Incorporated 1946. In the 1920s, the Detroit-based Miami Beach Heights Corporation (headed by industrialists Robert C. Graham, Walter O. Briggs and C.T. Fisher) owned 245 acres of undeveloped, partially swampy land that stretched from the bay to the Atlantic . Mr. Graham assumed the duties as the developer for Bal Harbour . In the 1930s, city planners Harland Bartholomew & Associates were called in to design the village. The company made several plans and they were submitted for review to Miami Beach Heights . In 1940, World War II began and the plans were put on hold. As a goodwill gesture to the government, Robert C. Graham rented the land to the United States Air Corps for $1 per year. The Air Corps used this land to train their soldiers and established a prisoner of war camp. The oceanfront area was used as a rifle range and the barracks were set up on the west side of Collins Avenue . The camp for prisoners was located where the Bal Harbour Shops are presently. In 1945, the war was over in both Germany and Japan . The Air Corps left the barracks buildings as a thank you to the owners of the property. Mr. Graham converted these barracks into apartment homes in 1946. In order to incorporate a city in 1946, there had to be at least 25 male registered voters residing in the area. Mr. Graham had 25 families move into the apartment homes that he had converted in order to qualify the village for incorporation. He then hired Willard Webb, a Miami Beach tax assessor, to draft a charter for the village. After the charter was completed, Mr. Graham and 25 male registered voters incorporated the Village of Bal Harbour on August 14, 1946 . The village was operated under the council-manager form of government. The first Village Council was elected and included Mayor Judge Julian Southerland and Councilmen Charles R. Graham, Glenn E. Massnick, Ray Semmes, Jr., George Whittaker and Willard H. Webb. Administrative officers were selected and included Village Clerk Mary Wetterer and Village Marshal Herold Dickey. The Council established a volunteer fire department. The original name chosen for Bal Harbour was Bay Harbour . However, the planning committee didn't think that was appropriate for a city that was on the beach. A name was invented to encompass a city that ran from the bay to the Atlantic Ocean . The "b" was taken from the word bay and the "a" and "l" were taken from the word Atlantic . Hence the word Bal was created. Bal Harbour (305) 866-4633 1946 Miami-Dade 655 96th St Bal Harbour, FL 33154-2428 2915
(904) 266-5029 Incorporated 1876. Nearly four centuries ago, the Spaniards built a road from coast to coast across the northern part of Florida . By the year 1835, a frontier stagecoach line crossed this road, which was later to become known as the "Old Spanish Trail." At the crossroads, a man name Thigpen opened a tavern for the benefit of the stage line. Mr. Thigpen supplied fresh horses for the stage and for its passengers he supplied food and shelter. So, not later than 1846, the area was known as "Thigpen." In 1860, Thigpen was renamed in honor of Dr. A.S. Baldwin, a former member of the Florida Legislature, who aided in bringing the first railroad tracks into the area in 1857. In 1859, the first telegraph line was built from Jacksonville to Baldwin , where it connected with the line from the north. According to the 1860 census, the general occupations were farming and logging. Some citizens were registered as laborers, one as a gentleman, one a light ship tender, one a teamster and one a seamstress. Baldwin was of great importance to the federal government near the end of the Civil War. The Legislature in 1862 passed a law allowing the circuit court of Duval County to be held here for the reason that the county seat was in the hands of the Union forces. Supplies and equipment belonging to the Confederacy were stored and shipped in Baldwin until August 15, 1864 . At that time, the Union soldiers burned the entire town to the ground. Only one month before, the troops had entered the town to destroy communication and transportation. During the period from 1865 to 1875, the area began to rebuild and finally all of the war damage was repaired. In 1913, by Chapter 6663, the town was re-incorporated by Legislative Act. Baldwin (904) 266-5030 1876 Duval 10 US Highway 90 W Baldwin, FL 32234-1847 1409
(863) 534-0114 Incorporated 1882. The city seems to have had two previous names before acquiring its present one. The first name was Peas Creek. Later, when Redding Blount came with Jacob Summerlin to pioneer the raising of cattle in Florida , the town was renamed Fort Blount . In 1887, its name was changed again, this time to honor Confederate General Francis F. Bartow, who had been the first general officer of either side to fall in the Civil War. Bartow adopted the council-manager form of government in 1922. Bartow is the county seat. Bartow (863) 534-0100 PO Box 1069 Bartow, FL 33831-1069 1882 Polk 450 N Wilson Ave Bartow, FL 33830-3954 17475
(850) 569-2007 Incorporated 1961. Bascom (850) 569-2007 0 PO Box 98 Bascom, FL 32423-0098 1961 Jackson 4969 Basswood Rd Bascom, FL 32423-9149 125
(305) 866-4863 Incorporated 1947. Bay Harbor Islands consists of two man-made islands in Biscayne Bay (from whence its name) developed by attorney Shepard Broad, who emigrated from Russia at age 14. After the town's incorporation, Mr. Broad was elected to the Town Council for 26 consecutive years and was selected by his fellow councilmembers to sit as mayor for all of those years. The Broad Causeway, the town's link to mainland Miami , is named after him. The town is made up of two islands. One is single-family residential only in nature and the other is multi-family and business in nature. Bay Harbor Islands (305) 866-6241 1947 Miami-Dade 9665 Bay Harbor Ter Bay Harbor Islands, FL 33154-2005 5808
(407) 934-6200 Incorporated 1967 Bay Lake (407) 828-2241 PO Box 22066 Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-2066 1967 Orange 1900 Hotel Plaza Blvd Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-8507 9
(352) 463-6415 Incorporated 1903. Bell 's name was selected by means of a beauty contest in which the winner's name was to be given to the new station and post office. The one who received the most votes for queen was Bell Fletcher, the daughter of Daniel E. Fletcher, a native of Florida and a successful farmer of Alachua County . Bell later married G.W. Everett and lived in the community until her death in 1919. Bell (352) 463-6288 PO Box 116 Bell, FL 32619-0116 1903 Gilchrist 3240 W Railroad Ln Bell, FL 32619-5103 430
(561) 993-1814 Incorporated 1928. The community is on the south shore of Lake Okeechobee and was once known as the Hillsborough Canal Settlement. In 1921, a post office was sought and a prerequisite for a more pleasant-sounding name. F.M. Myer, proprietor of the Pioneer Hotel, placed a blackboard in his lobby and solicited suggestions. Then one day, a group of tourists came down the canal from West Palm Beach and stayed at the hotel after making a trip through the Everglades . One of them remarked that the Hillsborough Canal Settlement was the “belle of the glades.” Mrs. Elsie Myer, the wife of the hotel proprietor, quickly added " Belle Glade " to the list of names on the blackboard and, when an informal poll was later taken, it was voted the favorite. Belle Glade (561) 996-0100 1945 Palm Beach 110 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd W Belle Glade, FL 33430-3930 17372
(407) 240-2222 Incorporated 1924. The city was formed as a result of a number of concerned residents protesting proposed drainage into Lake Conway . These concerned citizens were so intent on protecting the lake that they got the state Legislature to enact the necessary legislation in 1924 to form the city. From 1928-54 the city was inactive; it was reactivated in 1954. In 1972, the city charter and incorporation were reaffirmed by the state Legislature. The city still considers the protection of Lake Conway as one of its foremost responsibilities. Belle Isle (407) 851-7730 1924 Orange 1600 Nela Ave Belle Isle, FL 32809-6184 6404
(727) 588-3778 Incorporated 1924. To indicate the excellence of the air in those parts, the name of the town was given by Henry B. Plant in 1896. At that time, he purchased most of the land now included in the town and built his Belleview Hotel. Although there were earlier settlers in the vicinity of Belleair, the town as we know it is really an outgrowth of this hotel. When construction started in 1895, the area began to develop. After the hotel opened in January, the growth spread to areas surrounding the hotel. This was the golden age of the hotel with continued expansion and successful seasons. In 1924, several prominent citizens and hotel guests incorporated the Town of Belleair in order to prevent annexation into the neighboring town of Clearwater . Subdivision improvements ceased in the late twenties, along with grand plans for a casino, yacht club, country club, marina, etc., when Belleair experienced financial problems along with the rest of the nation. In 1945, Mr. Ernest Hallett picked up where the prosperity of the twenties left off when he purchased approximately half of the town, the area at the south end known as Belleair Estates. Belleair (727) 588-3769 1925 Pinellas 901 Ponce de Leon Blvd Belleair, FL 33756-1034 3900
(727) 593-1409 Incorporated 1950. This lovely city is situated on a barrier island which was once uninhabited wilderness. In the present, the city is an up-scale residential community which serves as the home to a variety of families, including those with children, empty-nesters, retirees, and seasonal residents. Belleair Beach (727) 595-4646 1950 Pinellas 444 Causeway Blvd Belleair Beach, FL 33786-3326 1572
(727) 584-6175 Incorporated 1963. The city is located on the western shores of Pinellas County , partially on the Intercoastal Waterway. Belleair Bluffs (727) 584-2151 1963 Pinellas 2747 Sunset Blvd Belleair Bluffs, FL 33770-1706 2037
(727) 593-9296 Incorporated 1955. Belleair Shore (727) 593-9296 1955 Pinellas 1200 Gulf Blvd Belleair Shrs, FL 33786-3351 107
(352) 245-6532 Incorporated May 4, 1885 . An early settler, John P. Pelot, founded Belleview in the spring of 1884. The village was originally known as Longswamp to some and Roach Pond to others. Belleview, meaning "beautiful view," was named for Mr. Pelot's daughter Belle. Belleview was incorporated on May 4, 1885 by special act of the Legislature. In 1886, a library was established, making it one of the oldest libraries in Florida . The original stone structure still houses the present library. From the start Belleview was a modern village with many ordinances governing the citizens, i.e., hogs were not allowed to run the streets and sanitary regulations were enforced. In 1911, Belleview boasted two hotels, two churches, two halls, a Masonic Temple , a railway depot, a post office, two sawmills, an ice and gristmill, a fence factory and a moss-ginning mill. Belleview (352) 245-7021 1885 Marion 5343 SE Abshier Blvd Belleview, FL 34420-3914 4562
(386) 439-3202 Incorporated 1955. Beverly Beach (386) 439-6888 1955 Flagler 2735 N Oceanshore Blvd Beverly Beach, FL 32136-2745 335
(305) 891-7241 The Town of Biscayne Park was incorporated in December 1931. In June of 1933, a state charter was granted changing the name to the Village of Biscayne Park. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a log cabin with the Federal Emergency Relief Program providing the labor for the Dade County pine construction. Today, this historical building still functions as the general operations / public safety center, and continues to be the prized symbol of the Village. Biscayne Park (305) 899-8000 1933 Miami-Dade 640 NE 114th St Biscayne Park, FL 33161-6202 3133
(850) 674-8289 Incorporated 1903. The first white settlers named the town after the great Seminole, John Blount. Blount was the distinguished chief of the Seminole Indians who occupied the reservation, which once lay just east of the area. Blount had been given this Anglo-American name because it was said that he had many traits in common with William Blount of North Carolina , whom President Washington appointed superintendent of Indian affairs in 1790. When the Florida reservation was ceded to the United States by a treaty made in Tallahassee on October 11, 1832 , John Blount led a delegation of Seminoles that explored the new reservation west of the Mississippi and later led the Seminole band to take up the new territory. Blountstown is the county seat Blountstown (850) 674-5488 1903 Calhoun 20591 Central Ave W Blountstown, FL 32424-2147 2503
(561) 367-7014 Incorporated 1925. Spanish explorers were sailing off the shores of Boca Raton in the 1500s and found the natural harbor of Lake Boca Raton . The Spaniards are responsible for giving the city its name Boca, meaning "mouth" (a term used by seamen to describe a hidden rock that gnaws or frets a ship's cables), and Raton, meaning "reef of hidden rocks." Boca Raton (561) 393-7700 1925 Palm Beach 201 W Palmetto Park Rd Boca Raton, FL 33432-3730 86041
(850) 547-9014 Incorporated 1886. Bonifay was established in 1882 and named for a prominent old family of that vicinity. Bonifay is the county seat. Bonifay (850) 547-4238 0 1886 Holmes 301 J Harvey Ethridge St Bonifay, FL 32425-2101 2695
(239) 949-6251 Incorporated 1999. Bonita Springs (239) 949-6262 1999 Lee 9101 Bonita Beach Rd SE Bonita Springs, FL 34135-4215 45229
(863) 375-3362 Incorporated 1907. The community was known as Utica until the late 1880s. When a number of farmers from Bowling Green , Kentucky , purchased large holdings in the district, they renamed the town after their former home. Bowling Green (863) 375-2255 PO Box 608 Bowling Green, FL 33834-0608 1927 Hardee 104 E Main St Bowling Green, FL 33834-4156 2907
(561) 742-6011 Incorporated 1920. Boynton Beach was named for Major Nathan S. Boynton, a Civil War officer and former mayor of Port Huron , Michigan . He purchased a tract of land here in 1896 and later built a resort hotel along with his home. Initially called simply "Boynton," in 1925 the city's name was changed to Boynton Beach . At the time of incorporation, a mayor and six aldermen were elected. The city’s form of government was later changed to council-manager with commissioners as the elected official Boynton Beach (561) 742-6000 PO Box 310 Boynton Beach, FL 33425-0310 1920 Palm Beach 100 E Boynton Beach Blvd Boynton Beach, FL 33435-3838 70131
(941) 932-9547 Incorporated 1903. In 1854, Dr. Joseph Braden, a pioneer sugar planter in this section, built his home here, close to the point where Hernando DeSoto had first landed on the Florida peninsula in 1539. When a post office was established in 1878, the spelling was by error given as "Braidentown." The "i" was later dropped and, in 1924, the "w" was eliminated to make the present spelling. Bradenton is the county seat. Bradenton (941) 932-9400 1903 Manatee 101 12th St W Bradenton, FL 34205-7865 50475
(941) 778-7585 Incorporated 1952. The City of Bradenton Beach was named because of its close proximity to the City of Bradenton, Florida. The City of Bradenton was named after an early settler Dr. Joseph Braden. Bradenton Beach (941) 778-1005 1952 Manatee 107 Gulf Dr N Bradenton Beach, FL 34217-2448 1176
(386) 935-3873 Incorporated 1915. Henry B. Plant, the great Florida developer who was president of the Savannah, Florida and Western Railroad (known now as the Atlantic Coast Line), named this town after Branford, Connecticut, where he had formerly lived. The Connecticut town, it is said, was named by variation after the town of Brentford in England . The Spanish mission of Ajoica stood a few miles northeast of the present site of Branford. Branford (386) 935-1146 PO Box 577 Branford, FL 32008-0577 1961 Suwannee 604 Suwannee Ave NW Branford, FL 32008-3269 694
(561) 272-1988 Incorporated 1963. The town is located adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean and derived its name from the salty wind conditions and the fact that the original subdivision that was platted on this parcel was called Briny Breezes. Briny Breezes (561) 272-5495 1963 Palm Beach 4802 N Ocean Blvd Briny Breezes, FL 33435-7339 420
(850) 643-4525 Incorporated June 19, 1958 . Bristol (850) 643-2261 PO Box 207 Bristol, FL 32321-0207 1958 Liberty 12444 NW Virginia G Weaver St Bristol, FL 32321-3396 994
(352) 486-6262 Incorporated 1951. Established in 1884 during the Civil War, the town was at first called Chunky Pond through a mistaken translation of an Indian word meaning "dance." The city was given its present name to honor an early settler of great popularity. Bronson (352) 486-2354 PO Box 266 Bronson, FL 32621-0266 1951 Levy 650 Oak St Bronson, FL 32621-6732 1095
(352) 485-1433 Incorporated 1952. In 1838, a settlement called Ward City was established in this area. It was named after the Ward family, descendants of whom are buried in the Brooker Baptist Church cemetery. In 1892, Thomas R. Collins, a native of nearby Columbia County, bought a piece of property about a mile southwest of the present site of Brooker. His petition for a post office was granted in August of 1894 and he was made postmaster. He named the post office after the old Brooker Bridge across the Santa Fe River. The bridge had been named after Ed Brooker, a farmer in that area. Mr. Hulett Anderson was the first mayor of the Town of Brooker. Brooker (352) 485-1022 0 PO Box 127 Brooker, FL 32622-0127 1952 Bradford 17435 Tetstone Ave Brooker, FL 32622 318
(352) 544-5424 Incorporated 1880. Established in 1856, history has it that Brooksville (formerly known as Pierceville) derived its name from U.S. Congressman Preston Brooks of South Carolina. During a session of Congress in 1856, Brooks took exception to some remarks made by a Massachusetts senator reflecting on the South and, without warning, began to hit the senator upon the head and shoulders with his walking cane. So heavy were the blows that the cane splintered in several pieces. Hernando County 's citizens, many of who were from South Carolina , admired Brooks and named their new county seat Brooksville in honor of their southern hero. Brooksville is the county seat. Brooksville (352) 540-3810 1856 Hernando 201 Howell Ave Brooksville, FL 34601-2042 7643
(386) 437-7503 Incorporated 1913. Alvah A. Bunnell had established a cypress shingle mill near the railroad around 1800. To identify the stop for mail and to let off passengers, it was called the Bunnell stop. Around 1898, Isaac Moody and Major J.F. Lambert arrived in the area now known as Flagler County to work in the turpentine business. Several years later, they purchased a 30,000-acre tract of land to begin their own camp and turpentine still operation in Bunnell. In 1909, Moody and Lambert formed the Bunnell Development Co., a real estate promotions firm. There were real estate offices in Bunnell and in Chicago . The development company also built the first hotel, Bunnell Hotel, later changed to Halcyon Hotel, to accommodate the visitors coming to the town. Within a short time, Bunnell became a thriving community and a great farming center, with the principal product being potatoes. In 1911, a legislative act was passed in which Bunnell was to be incorporated into a town. But, due to some errors in the description, it was necessary to postpone incorporation until 1913. Bunnell is the county seat. Bunnell (386) 437-7500 PO Box 756 Bunnell, FL 32110-0756 1913 Flagler 1769 E Moody Blvd Bldg 2 Bunnell, FL 32110-5991 2686
(352) 793-2711 Incorporated 1911. First settled in the 1870s, Bushnell derived its name on October 28, 1885 after the establishment of the post office. The city was named after J.W. Bushnell, a young engineer with the Florida Railway and Navigation Company, who first brought the railroad to the community. In 1913, the existing county courthouse was built, making Bushnell the county seat. Bushnell (352) 793-2591 PO Box 115 Bushnell, FL 33513-0016 1911 Sumter 117 E Joe P Strickland Jr Ave Bushnell, FL 33513-6116 2462
(904) 879-6151 Incorporated 1911. The town was established prior to 1884. It was named for one of the contractors engaged in the construction of the old Transit Railway. James M. Dancey described boundary lines in a map on August 15, 1907 Callahan (904) 879-3801 PO Box 5016 Callahan, FL 32011-5016 1911 Nassau 542300 US Highway 1 Callahan, FL 32011-6493 1157
(850) 871-2444 Incorporated 1936; reactivated in 1959. Prior to the 1700s, Spanish navigators were the first recorded visitors to the area as they sought shipping ports for their supply ships along the northern shores of the Gulf of Mexico . Many of the early pioneers to the area settled on what is now known as Callaway Bayou. In the early 1800s, A.B. Smith constructed a sawmill on the bayou known at that time as Smith's Mill Pond. Mr. Smith sold the mill to a man named Furstlue and it later burned, resulting in the name being changed to Burnt Mill Point. In 1855, E.G. Langston homesteaded a piece of property adjacent to the bayou, and again the name was changed to Langston Bayou. Mr. Langston purchased a steamboat that he used to generate power to run his sawmill and house his workers. The steamboat was destroyed by a mid-1800s hurricane. In 1897, Pitt Callaway purchased the Langston property and, over the years, the name was changed to Callaway Bayou. During the Civil War, the area was also known for its salt production. Boilers from a steamboat were cut in half and used to evaporate water from Callaway Bayou, thus leaving the salt for harvest. This operation, though not in productive use, remained intact for many years until sold for salvage. In addition to the timber industry in the early 1900s, the Callaway community also included a turpentine still near the bayou. The local government of Callaway was formed and its first officials elected on January 15, 1936 . This formation was mainly attributed to a school relocation issue. The citizens thought that incorporation of the community would help in this desire, but it was not to be. The city officials who won that first election remained in an inactive office for 23 years until the Community of Callaway was reactivated in 1959. At the first meeting after re-establishment of the Callaway government, a collection was taken and a total of $15.50 was donated for materials to operate the new government. Some of these contributions went for the purchase of a badge and a pistol for the new town marshal. On November 9, 1959 , the name was changed from the Community of Callaway to the Town of Callaway and, on November 18, 1963 , Callaway gained its status as a city. The citizens adopted a new charter in 1996 (via mail-in ballots), changing from a council-weak mayor form of government to a council-manager form of government. Tyndall Air Force Base has been a major contributor to Callaway’s economy, with a large percentage of the residents being associated with the military installation or retired military personnel. Callaway (850) 871-6000 1963 Bay 6601 E Highway 22 Callaway, FL 32404-9542 14332
(850) 263-8502 Incorporated 1925. The town was established in 1840 or earlier and it is suggested that it was named for Judge R.L. Campbell, a former resident of Jackson County . Another version indicated the town name was derived from two families who camped in the area. Campbellton (850) 263-4535 0 PO Box 38 Campbellton, FL 32426-0038 1925 Jackson 5283 Highway 231 Campbellton, FL 32426-6831 228
(321) 868-1248 Incorporated 1962; special act of the Florida Legislature approving the city charter became law on May 16, 1963 . Canaveral is the Spanish word meaning "plantation of cane." The Spaniards named the cape "Canaveral" because the Indians were growing cane there. The name appears on the earliest maps of Florida . As early as the 1920s, the area that is now the City of Cape Canaveral was appraised by a group of retired Orlando journalists who were vacationing in the area. They invested more than $150,000 in beach acreage. The group of investors decided to call their development "Journalista" (later platted as "Avon-by-the-Sea") in honor of their trade. At the same time, fishermen, their families, a few retirees and descendents of Captain Mills Burnham, the original official lighthouse keeper of the Cape Canaveral light, resided in the northern part of the present city and owned acreage that was named "Artesia." As the nation was ravaged by the Depression of the 1920s and 1930s, the initial investors, among them the Brossier brothers and others, defaulted and their portions of the property were lost. However, a son, Dickson Brossier, returned from World War II and, with his father, R.B. Brossier, regained possession of much of what is now the Avon area. Dickson based his faith in the future of the beach in the belief that a port would be developed and that a direct route would be constructed between Orlando and the beaches. In 1949, President Harry Truman signed a law, which made Cape Canaveral the testing site for guided missiles. In 1950, construction of the missile test range began. By 1958, the beach area had grown in population as the space program flourished. Discussion was taking place among property owners about the feasibility of forming a new city or a possible annexation by the City of Cocoa Beach, northward to the port. In 1961, a committee was formed to set into motion the incorporation of a new town. The following is an account of the official incorporation event, as taken from Official Minutes Book No. 1, located in the office of the City Clerk. On March 10,1962 , electors met at the Tropicana Juice Plant at Port Canaveral to vote on incorporation of a new municipality. The minutes were taken by Mrs. Kenneth (Jean) Taylor . Two hundred fifteen (215) eligible freeholders (landowners) were present to vote. Election officials were chosen and an election was held. The vote was 152 for incorporation, and 18 against incorporation. The name of the town was voted on and it was called the "Town of Cape Canaveral ." Mr. Jamieson was elected mayor. Five Aldermen [later called councilmen] were elected. They were: Charles Applegate, William Eberwein, Dewey Anderson, Don Clayton and George Rogers. Mrs. Taylor was appointed the first city clerk. The first Council meeting was held at Cocoa Palms Trailer Park Recreation Room on March 21. At one of the early meetings, a hat was passed and $57.50 was collected to c Cape Canaveral (321) 868-1220 PO Box 326 Cape Canaveral, FL 32920-0326 1963 Brevard 105 Polk Ave Cape Canaveral, FL 32920-3007 9987
(239) 574-0424 Incorporated 1970. The name Cape Coral was given to the city by its developers, the Rosen brothers, in the early 1960s. The City of Cape Coral was originally a platted subdivision of about 107 square miles. Cape Coral (239) 574-0401 PO Box 150027 Cape Coral, FL 33915-0027 1970 Lee 1015 Cultural Park Blvd Cape Coral, FL 33990-1216 161069
(850) 697-3156 Incorporated 1893. O.M. Kelly, who served as postmaster, established the town in 1877. In 1891, Miss Carrie Hall reigned as the belle of the town and it was then named Rio Carrabelle in her honor. The " Rio " was later dropped. The city was incorporated on May 11, 1893 . Carrabelle (850) 697-2727 1893 Franklin 1001 Gray Ave Carrabelle, FL 32322-6847 2803
(850) 548-5527 Incorporated 1913; reincorporated 1965. In 1871, the area was first settled and given the name Half Moon Bluff. But in 1884, upon the advent of the Pensacola and Apalachicola Railroad, it was renamed Caryville in honor of R.M. Cary, a stockholder and official of the Pensacola and Atlantic Railroad (which later became a part of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad system). Caryville was the first community in Washington County to have electric lights (1903). The Town of Caryville was first incorporated in 1913, but in the late 1930s or early 1940s, Caryville's incorporated charter lapsed due to lack of use. Caryville was re-incorporated in 1965. Caryville (850) 548-5571 0 1965 Washington 4436 Old Spanish Trl Caryville, FL 32427-2159 mailto: 283
(407) 262-7745 Incorporated 1940. Casselberry was originally a sparsely populated area in unincorporated Seminole County. Scattered with family farms, citrus groves and cattle pastures dating back to the 1880’s, these agricultural uses continued until people slowly migrated to the area. An extensive fernery and housing development, known as Fern Park Estates, was established in the mid 1920’s. The city’s founder, Hibbard Casselberry, moved to the area in 1926 and purchased land to open a second fernery. He also developed the adjacent area along the new Dixie Highway. Expansion of the Casselberry development continued throughout the 1930’s. In 1940, the tax-free Town of Casselberry was incorporated which included parts of Fern Park Estates. Police, fire, parks and street lights were funded by a cigarette tax or voluntarily by the residents. The town continued to grow as new subdivisions were continuously platted, and on July 25, 1965, the town was renamed the City of Casselberry. It remained tax free until residents eventually voted to have property taxes in 1976. Casselberry (407) 262-7700 1940 Seminole 95 Triplet Lake Dr Casselberry, FL 32707-3252 27057
(352) 543-5560 Incorporated 1869. Cedar Key derives its name from a 1542 Spanish map that identified the area as "Las Islas Sabines," meaning "The Cedar Islands." Although the island on which this town is located is called North Key, the "Cedar Islands" reference applied to the abundant growth of cedar trees that formerly covered all of a group of islands located in the area. The Town of Cedar Key was established during the Civil War (circa 1840) on Atseena Otie, the Creek Indian name for Cedar Island. The present site was first incorporated as the "City of Cedar Key" in 1869 and became a municipal corporation by charter in 1969 through Special Act 69-929 of the first Legislature of Florida under the Constitution, as revised in 1968. Lumber was the primary industry, although fishing and cotton shipping were also important, and sawmills and pencil factories dominated the town in the 1880s. The pencil plants closed down when the cedar was depleted. Shipping by rail and sea made Cedar Key an important port city until 1886, when the port of Tampa began to draw shipping away from Cedar Key. About 2,500 people lost their jobs when the mills closed and an 1896 hurricane and tidal surge devastated the area. Commercial fishing is important, but in terms of economic base, is now second to tourism, the major industry. Cedar Key (352) 543-5132 PO Box 339 Cedar Key, FL 32625-0339 1923 Levy 490 2nd St Cedar Key, FL 32625-5118 707
(352) 568-2264 Incorporated 1905. Thomas W. Spicer, who became postmaster and gave the town its name, established Center Hill in 1883. He liked to think of the hill on which it is located as the center of things. Originally incorporated as the "Town" of Center Hill, it was re-incorporated as the "City" of Center Hill in 1925. Center Hill used to be the "green bean capitol of the world," but the market in South Florida took business away from Central Florida. Also, drainage of the canals caused the land to not be as suitable for farming. There was some citrus around Center Hill until the winter freezes in the 1980s destroyed the groves. Center Hill had a school (elementary to high school), but this facility was closed in the 1970s. Center Hill (352) 793-4431 PO Box 649 Center Hill, FL 33514-0649 1925 Sumter 94 S Virginia Ave Center Hill, FL 33514 955
(850) 256-0318 Incorporated 1945. Timber and lumber are the key words identified with Century's founding and history. In July 1900, General Russell Alexander Alger and Martin H. Sullivan, among others, formed the Alger-Sullivan Lumber Company to establish lumber operations in the South and located a mill two miles south of the Alabama-Florida state line. The company built the mill and an entire town after George M. Pullman’s model town in Illinois. Pullman constructed a town adjacent to his factory with its own housing, shopping areas, churches, theaters, parks, hotel and library for his employees. Alger, along with Pullman, believed that country air and fine facilities without agitators, saloons and city vice districts would result in a happy, loyal workforce. The mill town was named Century in 1901 because of the company’s optimism for economic development and the community's emergence at the dawn of a new century. The Alger-Sullivan Lumber Company was the first in the west Florida region to adopt a policy of reforestation on a large scale. Because of this policy, the company lasted for much more than the founders’ original intent of ten-fifteen years. Over one hundred years later and nearly 50 years after the mill closed, the Town of Century remains virtually intact as an example of a planned company town. The mill town area of Century agreed to annexation by the Town of South Flomaton (formed in 1945) if it would first change its name to Century. The Town of Century annexed the unincorporated area known as Century on April 22, 1980. With annexation, the town grew from 493 persons to 2,394. Century (850) 256-3208 0 1945 Escambia 7995 N Century Blvd Century, FL 32535-1621 1654
(850) 663-2456 Incorporated 1921. In 1681, the Spanish located their mission of Santa Cruz de Sabacola here. The community was first established around 1828. For part of its history, the city was known as River Junction because the Flint and Chattahoochee Rivers join nearby to form the Apalachicola River. It took its current name from the Chattahoochee River. The word is Seminole Creek and means "marked rock," deriving from the peculiarly colored and patterned stones that are found in the bed of the river. In 1834, a U.S. federal arsenal was constructed on the grounds of what is presently the Florida State Hospital. Constructed of locally made brick, the arsenal consisted of various buildings erected so that their exterior walls formed a quadrangle of four square acres. It served as munitions storage for the federal government during the Indian Wars, and later as a Camp of Instruction after it was seized by the Confederacy during the Civil War. In 1869, the buildings were given to the State of Florida for use as a prison, and in 1876 the prison became a mental institution. Chattahoochee (850) 663-4046 PO Box 188 Chattahoochee, FL 32324-0188 1921 Gadsden 22 Jefferson St Chattahoochee, FL 32324-1416 3092
(352) 493-6714 Incorporated 1928. When hostilities in the Seminole War ceased in 1842, a Creek chief chose this site for his farm home. He went extensively into the raising of corn, wheat and potatoes. Chiefland (352) 493-6711 1913 Levy 214 E Park Ave Chiefland, FL 32626-0902 2260
(850) 638-6353 Incorporated 1882. Originally known as Orange, Chipley was renamed in honor of Colonel W.D. Chipley, the railroad president who helped build the railroad across northern Florida. Agriculture was the mainstay for Chipley until recently. State and county government, as well as manufacturing, have begun to be major contributors to the economy. Chipley is the county seat. Chipley (850) 638-6350 PO Box 1007 Chipley, FL 32428-7007 1901 Washington 1442 Jackson Ave Chipley, FL 32428-1600 3534
(850) 833-4160 Incorporated 1950. The Cinco Bayou subdivision was platted in 1940 in the unincorporated area of Okaloosa County. It became the Town of Cinco Bayou on July 3, 1950, when the charter was approved in a citizen town meeting in a local grocery store. The first order of business was to appoint a mayor and five town councilmembers. At that time, the town had a population of approximately 100. Cinco Bayou is approximately one-half mile square and is surrounded by the City of Fort Walton Beach on three sides and Five Mile Bayou on the fourth side. Five Mile Bayou is also called Cinco Bayou, hence the town's name. Cinco Bayou (850) 833-3405 1950 Okaloosa 10 Yacht Club Dr NE Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548-4436 mailto: 391
(727) 562-4086 Incorporated 1915. Panfilo de Narvaez landed here on what is now the Pinellas peninsula in 1528. Early in the 19th century, some fishermen attempted citrus culture here, but were unsuccessful because of trouble with the Seminoles. After the establishment of Fort Harrison near this site in 1841, a group of settlers under the leadership of James Stevens took up homes and farms under the Armed Occupation Act. The town was first called Clear Water Harbor, because of a spring of sulfated water bubbling up in the Gulf near the shore, making the water unusually clear and sparkling. Later, the "harbor" part of the name was dropped and the other two words were merged into one. Clearwater is the county seat. Clearwater (727) 562-4092 PO Box 4748 Clearwater, FL 33758-4748 1915 Pinellas 112 S Osceola Ave Clearwater, FL 33756-5106 109065
(352) 394-4087 Incorporated 1891. The Clermont Improvement Company, whose manager, A.F. Wrotniski, had been born in Clermont, France, established this town about 1884. Today, in addition to the French name with its ancient associations, Clermont uses the designation "The Gem of the Hills," since it is situated amid 17 lakes and a group of rugged green-gold hills, at an altitude of 105 feet above sea level. Clermont (352) 394-4081 PO Box 120219 Clermont, FL 34712-0219 1891 Lake 685 W Montrose St Clermont, FL 34711-2119 30201
(863) 983-4055 Incorporated 1923. John Nolan, a nationally known planner, was commissioned in 1920 to create a plan for the city. The design of streets, parkways and other features make Clewiston distinctive from other South Florida towns. In 1922, developers John and Marian O'Brien and A.C. Clewis (a Tampa banker), who owned considerable land in the area, extended the railroad from the Atlantic Coast Line terminus in Moore Haven to Sand Point (the ridge section of Clewiston). The new station was named Clewiston in honor of Mr. Clewis who provided the capital for the extension. The city was platted and re-incorporated in 1932 with a Commission form of government. Today, it has a council-manager form of government. Clewiston (863) 983-1484 1925 Hendry 115 W Ventura Ave Clewiston, FL 33440-3709 7251
(561) 683-5120 Incorporated 1948. A famous war chief of the Seminole Indians during the Second Seminole War of the 1840s was Yaholoochee or "Cloud." In the 1940s when Kenyon Riddle developed a sub-division here, he excavated about five acres and named the resultant lake, Cloud Lake, after the warrior. Several years later, the people of the platted area decided to incorporate and the name was used for the new town. Cloud Lake (561) 686-2815 0 1948 Palm Beach 100 Lang Rd West Palm Beach, FL 33406-3222 133
(321) 433-8455 Incorporated 1895. Cocoa was founded by fishermen very early in Florida's history. In 1871, a post office was established at Magnolia Point, some two miles north of the area. There are two or three varying accounts of how the unique name of "Cocoa" came to be attached to the community. One says it came from the coco-plum tree, which grows along the whole Florida East Coast and is particularly profuse in the area. Another version says that while a group of citizens were seeking a name for the town, an old African-American woman standing near a landing at the foot of Willard Street received inspiration from the label on a box of Baker's Cocoa. Still a third explanation involves the story of an old woman living along the banks of the Indian River who would supply hot cocoa to traveling sailors. All three of the explanations involved a little misspelling, as "cocoa" is a corruption of "cacao." In any event, Cocoaites claim there is no other city in the world that bears the same name. Cocoa (321) 433-8800 1895 Brevard 65 Stone St Cocoa, FL 32922-7982 17443
(321) 868-3226 Incorporated 1925. A real estate developer named Gus Edwards established the city. The name "Cocoa Beach" was selected in honor of the nearby City of Cocoa, where Mr. Edwards practiced as an attorney. Edwards developed Cocoa Beach as a resort town, but left the city during the Great Depression. The city grew at a furious pace during the 1960s, when engineers moved in to work at Kennedy Space Center. Cocoa Beach (321) 868-3201 PO Box 322430 Cocoa Beach, FL 32932-2430 1925 Brevard 2 S Orlando Ave Cocoa Beach, FL 32931-2722 11214
(954) 973-6794 Incorporated 1967. The area was originally called Edgefield by the first developers, R. E. Bateman and John W. "Jack" Brown. Even though the single-family homes that were built in the late 1950s were on the edge of farm fields, residents sought a more tropical name. Since the main attraction of the development was water skiing shows along the canal or creeks that were landscaped with coconut palms, the name Coconut Creek was coined. Coconut Creek (954) 973-6770 1967 Broward 4800 W Copans Rd Coconut Creek, FL 33063-3879 53783
(352) 748-2291 Incorporated 1908. This community was settled in 1882 and was named for an early settler, B.F. Coleman, who was a physician, orange grove and farm owner, and the first postmaster. Coleman (352) 748-1017 PO Box 456 Coleman, FL 33521-0456 1908 Sumter 695
(954) 434-5099 Incorporated 1959. Russian immigrant Morris Cooper founded Cooper City in 1958. In 1959, Cooper City's homes sold for $11,900 to $15,900. With the recession of 1963, those same homes sold for an average of $10,000. Morris Cooper advertised Cooper City for sale in the Wall Street Journal when the bottom fell out of the real estate market in the early 1960s. As we know by its continued name, there were no takers. Morris Cooper constructed the town's only water plant (adjacent to City Hall). Cooper City (954) 434-4300 PO Box 290910 Cooper City, FL 33329-0910 1959 Broward 9090 SW 50th Pl Cooper City, FL 33328-4227 32136
(305) 460-5350 Incorporated 1925. The city took its name from the home built there earlier by the Reverend Solomon Merrick, whose son, George E. Merrick, sub-divided the area during Florida's great land boom of the 1920s. The son derived the name from the community's coral rock walls and many gables of his father's house. The city was the first planned community in the United States. Coral Gables (305) 460-5203 1925 Miami-Dade 405 Biltmore Way Coral Gables, FL 33134-5717 48524
(954) 344-1016 Incorporated 1963. Prior to receiving its charter, the entire tract of land that makes up the city was owned by a developer. Known as Coral Ridge Properties, the developer envisioned the area as a planned, upscale community. The city's name was derived from the developer's name and the natural springs that occupied most of the land at that time. In 1963, the same year the city was incorporated, the Sunshine Drainage District was created by special act of the Florida Legislature to manage the drainage of the new town Coral Springs (954) 344-1000 1963 Broward 9551 W Sample Rd Coral Springs, FL 33065-4182 122994
(850) 352-2033 Incorporated 1905. The community was established by railway hands in 1882 and received its name from the surrounding cotton farms. The city's first mayor was James L. Massey. There were 30 qualified electors when the community became a municipality, 26 of whom voted in the first election. There was a large cotton gin situated in the middle of the city, a major source of employment and income for this immediate area. Cottondale (850) 352-4361 PO Box 398 Cottondale, FL 32431-0398 1905 Jackson 2659 Front St Cottondale, FL 32431-3113 911
(386) 698-3467 Crescent City (386) 698-2525 1883 Putnam 3 N Summit St Crescent City, FL 32112-2505 1518
(850) 682-8077 Incorporated 1916. Situated on the top of a high hill, the settlement was the highest point on the old Pensacola and Apalachicola Railroad. Crestview took its name from that fact. Crestview is the county seat. Crestview (850) 682-1091 PO Box 1209 Crestview, FL 32536-1209 1916 Okaloosa 198 N Wilson St Crestview, FL 32536-3436 22965
(352) 498-7549 Cross City (352) 498-3306 0 PO Box 417 Cross City, FL 32628-0417 1924 Dixie 99 NE 210th Ave Cross City, FL 32628 1713
(352) 795-6351 Incorporated 1903. The first settlers moved into the area in the 1820s. By the 1860s, a small village existed just north of Kings Bay. On the Taylor War Map of 1839 appeared a stream designated as Weewa-hii-aca. In Seminole Creek, the word "wiwa" means "water," while "haiyayaki" means "clear or shining". A survey made by A.H. Jones in August 1846 translated this to Crystal River and, by the time the Davis Map of 1856 was published, the Indian name had disappeared. The city takes its name from the river. A revised charter, passed in 1926, established the present governmental structure of council-manager. Crystal River (352) 795-4216 1903 Citrus 123 NW US Highway 19 Crystal River, FL 34428-3930 3056
(305) 234-4251 Cutler Bay (305) 234-4262 2005 Miami-Dade 10720 Caribbean Blvd Ste 105 Cutler Bay, FL 33189-1257 42035
(352) 521-1422 Dade City (352) 523-5050 PO Box 1355 Dade City, FL 33526-1355 1889 Pasco 14206 US Highway 98 Byp Dade City, FL 33523-3500 6455
(954) 921-2604 Incorporated 1904. A.C. Frost, considered the founder of Dania, moved to Southeast Florida in the winter of 1898-99 and became resident agent for the Model Land Company and Intracoastal Transportation Company, builder of the Intracoastal Waterway. In 1902, A.C. settled in what is now Dania Beach. A general store building with a post office was constructed and A.C. became postmaster. Residents of the area at that time were primarily remnants of a group of Danes that had moved from the Chicago area. Modello was the original name chosen for the site (from Model Land Company), but this was changed due to the existence of another settlement south of Miami by the same name. The locals then called the area Dania. L.O. Hansen, Hans Lawson and Charlie Larsen also began the beginnings of Dania's legendary tomato farms on the East Marsh around 1902. The original tomato farmers shipped their crops via local freight to Jacksonville, then on to markets in New York via ships. Chase and Company and Pres Roper operated the first packinghouses. Later, the East Coast Growers Association was formed and a local chapter was established in Dania. Dania was incorporated in 1904 with a voting population of 26. A City Council was formed and A.C. Frost, W.S. Sands, W.H. MacFarland and J.H. King became council members. Dania's first mayor was John Mullikin. Dania was originally considered part of Dade County, but later became part of Broward County. By referendum on November 3, 1998, the residents voted to add "Beach" to the city's name. Dania Beach (954) 924-6800 1904 Broward 100 W Dania Beach Blvd Dania Beach, FL 33004-3643 30233
(863) 419-3302 Incorporated 1915. Some say this city, founded about 1853, was named after a colonel; others say it was named after a conductor. The military officer was Colonel William Davenport, who commanded a military camp located about 12 miles northwest of the present site during the Second Seminole War. The gentleman honored, according to the other version, was a conductor named Davenport on the old South Florida Railroad. The town was incorporated in 1915 and, two days later, the new officers held the first Town Council meeting. They raised $3.30 to purchase the town seal. The City Hall was built in 1927 and still houses the administrative staff, the police department and the Council chambers. Originally chartered as a council-weak mayor form of government, the city adopted the council-manager form of government in 1985. Davenport (863) 419-3300 PO Box 125 Davenport, FL 33836-0125 1915 Polk 1 Allapaha Street Davenport, FL 33836 3027
(954) 797-1087 Incorporated originally in 1925 (dissolved), incorporated for a second time in 1961. In 1906, 27,500 acres were sold to millionaire R.P. Davie as part of a large-scale project to drain the Everglades by building canals. The land was then divided and sold in smaller pieces to groups of settlers who came up through the canals from the Panama Canal Zone. In 1912, the area was named "Zona" because of its resemblance to the Panama Canal Zone. As more settlers immigrated to the area, Mr. Davie financed the first public schoolhouse and many other public services. Consequently in 1915, the area was renamed Davie. The first incorporation came in 1925, but the town was dissolved in less than a year when taxes were levied, a very sensitive subject to the residents. Not until 1960 was the town officially chartered and then incorporated in 1961. Davie (954) 797-1000 1961 Broward 6591 Orange Dr Davie, FL 33314-3348 93599
(386) 671-8015 Incorporated 1876. The Timucuan Indians originally inhabited the region in and around what is currently known as Daytona Beach. The Spanish Crown laid claim to Florida in the early 1500s and later awarded Royal Land Grants to the British. It was from the purchase of these grants by northern American's in the mid-1800s, after the Seminole Indian War of 1835, that the Daytona area began to become a permanent settlement. The name "Daytona" came to be by honoring the founder of the settlement, Mr. Mathias Day of Mansfield, Ohio. On the 26th day of July in 1876, the first town meeting of Daytona took place. At this meeting, the town was "officially" named and incorporated and held its first election naming a mayor (Rev. Dr. L. D. Huston), a common council of seven, a clerk and a marshal. Settlements were also being established near at hand during this same period. There were two colonies across the Halifax River from Daytona, one known as Seabreeze and one by the name of Daytona Beach. These three towns eventually joined forces and voted to incorporate into one city in 1926 known as Daytona Beach. Daytona Beach (386) 671-8000 PO Box 2451 Daytona Beach, FL 32115-2451 1876 Volusia 301 S Ridgewood Ave Daytona Beach, FL 32114-4933 61998
(386) 763-5360 Incorporated 1960. On April 20, 1960, a meeting was held at the Winn Dixie Plaza to organize a municipal corporation. A temporary chairman who had posted notice as a freeholder called the meeting to order. Voters were registered and a permanent chairman was appointed for incorporation purposes. Ballots were cast of which 153 voted in favor of incorporation, 20 opposed. A total of 157 voted in favor of adopting the name "Daytona Beach Shores." The first Council meeting was held on April 22, 1960. Resolution 60-1 was adopted declaring the Town Council organized. Within seven years, a referendum was held to incorporate as a “city.” A special election on August 22, 1967 adopted the charter providing for a form of government as passed by the 1967 session of the Florida Legislature. Daytona Beach Shores (386) 763-5353 1960 Volusia 2990 S Atlantic Ave Daytona Beach Shores, FL 32118-6002 4292
(386) 668-4122 Incorporated September 7, 1993. DeBary (386) 668-2040 1993 Volusia 16 Colomba Rd Debary, FL 32713-3322 19363
(954) 480-4268 Incorporated 1925. Originally called Deerfield, the city adopted the name Deerfield Beach in 1939. Deerfield Beach (954) 480-4200 1925 Broward 150 NE 2nd Ave Deerfield Beach, FL 33441-3506 75840
(850) 892-8506 DeFuniak Springs (850) 892-8500 PO Box 685 Defuniak Springs, FL 32435-0685 1901 Walton 71 US Highway 90 W Defuniak Springs, FL 32433-1588 5341
(386) 626-7140 Incorporated 1882. The first settlers in the area appeared in about 1570 and are believed to be of Spanish and English origin. The Spanish mission of Antonico stood near here. The city was named after Henry A. Deland, a New York baking powder manufacturer, who founded the community in 1876. John B. Stetson, the world-famous Philadelphia hat manufacturer, also had a part in the founding of the town. In 1883, Deland established an academy here, and gave it his own name. Stetson thereafter became a great financial benefactor of the institution and, when it was finally incorporated as a university, it was Deland himself who suggested that its name be changed to honor Stetson. Because of the university, the city calls itself "The Athens of Florida," a concept promoted by Henry Deland prior to his death in 1908. DeLand is especially beautified by its great branching oaks planted about 50 years ago. These trees have caused some aviators to call DeLand "the city of the forest." DeLand became the county seat in 1888. DeLand (386) 626-7000 1882 Volusia 120 S Florida Ave Deland, FL 32720-5422 28436
(561) 243-7199 Delray Beach (561) 243-7000 1911 Palm Beach 100 NW 1st Ave Delray Beach, FL 33444-2612 61801
(386) 878-8501 Incorporated 1995. Deltona (386) 878-8100 1995 Volusia 2345 Providence Blvd Deltona, FL 32725-1806 85469
(850) 837-3267 Incorporated 1984. Leonard Destin, Sr., who left the New England coast to settle on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico, founded the Village of Destin in the 1800s. Destin was mapped and a fishing industry was established. After years of debate and several unsuccessful votes by the people of Destin, the "World's Luckiest Fishing Village" was incorporated as a city in November 1984. The inaugural seven-member council and titular mayor took office in January 1985. Destin (850) 837-4242 1984 Okaloosa 4200 Indian Bayou Trl Destin, FL 32541-4305 12474
(305) 593-6761 Doral (305) 593-6725 2003 Miami-Dade 8401 NW 53rd Ter Ste 100 Doral, FL 33166-4522 49253
(863) 438-8333 Incorporated 1925. When the railroad was built from Haines City down to Sebring, Dundee was the first new town to be platted along the line and the first site to have a depot erected. William W. Shepard, who organized the Florida Highlands Company, began development of the town about 1911. The name of the town was obviously taken from that of the famous town in Scotland. Dundee (863) 438-8330 PO Box 1000 Dundee, FL 33838-1000 1925 Polk 202 E Main St Dundee, FL 33838-4217 3808
(727) 298-3012 Incorporated 1899. "Dunedin" is the old Gaelic name for Edinburgh, Scotland. It is the oldest town on the Florida West Coast between Cedar Key and Key West, with the exception of Tampa. Dunedin was established in the late 1850s, and was initially called Jonesboro. The new name was implemented in 1878 when a post office was established; a couple of Scotsmen named Douglas and Somerville were responsible for the change. Dunedin (727) 298-3000 PO Box 1348 Dunedin, FL 34697-1348 1899 Pinellas 542 Main St Dunedin, FL 34698-4966 35558
(352) 465-8505 Incorporated 1891. Dunnellon was a "boomtown" in the 1890s due to the local mining of phosphate. The city is named for an early railroad promoter and its financier founder, John F. Dunn. Dunnellon (352) 465-8500 1891 Marion 20750 River Dr Dunnellon, FL 34431-6744 1754
(863) 294-3590 Incorporated 1921. Originally incorporated as the Town of Eagle Lake in October 1921, the name was changed to City of Eagle Lake in November 1975. The city was supposedly named Eagle Lake because of the eagles that nested in the trees around the lake. Eagle Lake (863) 293-4141 PO Box 129 Eagle Lake, FL 33839-0129 1921 Polk 75 N 7th St Eagle Lake, FL 33839-3221 2306
(407) 623-8919 Incorporated 1887. Newly freed slaves who had come into the area from Georgia, Alabama and further north and the not-yet-incorporated Maitland first settled the town in 1880. These newly freed men labored at clearing land, planting crops and citrus groves, and helping to build houses, hotels and the railroad system. In a few years, some of them became community leaders, businessmen and respected citizens of the newly developed town of Maitland. By 1887, the African-American settlers in Maitland became interested in establishing their own town. An all-African-American town seems to have initially been a dream of Joseph E. Clarks, but he was unsuccessful in his attempts to purchase land for that purpose. Eventually, through the goodwill of Lewis Lawrence, a northern philanthropist, and Josiah Eaton, a local landowner, Joe Clarke and others acquired 112 acres, and they comprised the original city limits of the Town of Eatonville. Lewis Lawrence suggested the name in honor of Josiah Eaton. On August 15, 1887, 27 electors gathered at the "town hall" and cast their votes for Columbus H. Boger as mayor; for Joe Clarks, Matthew Brazell, David Yelder, E.L.Horn, and E.J. Shines as aldermen; and for several other town officers. Thus the first town to be organized, governed and incorporated by African-American citizens in this country was born. Central to the early life in Eatonville were three institutions - the church, the school and the family. The first 10 acres of the land Lawrence purchased were given to the trustees of the Methodist Church, known today as the St. Lawrence African Methodist Episcopal Church. Founded in 1881, St. Lawrence was the first African-American church in the area. St. Lawrence A.M.E. Church was originally built in the early 1880s. The second building was erected in 1908 and stood for 60 years until time and the elements took their toll. The church's present concrete-block structure was built in the early 1970s. A second institution, which was a hallmark of the town for years, was the Hungerford Normal and Industrial School. Founded in 1889 by Robert Hungerford and others who made up its governing body, the school was named in honor of Hungerford's physician son. He had given his life to save the lives of some African-Americans who were besieged with scarlet fever. Russell C. Calhoun and his wife, Mary, came from Tuskegee Institute in Alabama to serve as the first administrators. By 1935, the school had become the premier place for Negro learning in central Florida. The school was given to Orange County in 1950. Now it is the Wymore Career Education Center, a public high school. Eatonville-born novelist, Zora Neale Hurston, depicted the town in her 1937 novel, Their Eyes Were Watching God, as follows: "Maitland is Maitland until it gets to Hurst's corner, and then it is Eatonville. Right in the front of Willie Sewell's yellow painted house the hard road quit being the hard road for a generous mile, and becomes the hea Eatonville (407) 623-8900 PO Box 2163 Eatonville, FL 32751-2009 1887 Orange 307 E Kennedy Blvd Eatonville, FL 32751-6800 2230
Incorporated 1969. It is believed the Spanish named the town, as there is an Ebro River in Spain. Ebro (850) 535-2842 0 PO Box 10 Ebro, FL 32437-0010 1967 Washington 6629 Dog Track Rd Ebro, FL 32437-1265 240
(386) 424-2410 Incorporated 1924. J.M. Hawks, author of The East Coast of Florida, 1887, founded the City of Edgewater. Dr. John M. Hawks, a New England physician and surgeon, bought property here in 1865 and settled it about 1872. Beginning as the small village of Hawks' Park, the community began as a rough, frontier town in an area of Florida where there were only about seven houses on the coast between New Smyrna and Haulover Canal. Some of these houses had nothing but sand for their floors. Determined that this colony would thrive, Hawks formed The Hawks' Park Company with investors from the New England states. The company's members placed advertisements in the New England newspapers, attracting people from New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York. First these people came as winter visitors, then as permanent residents. They hired a surveyor and a town was mapped out. The earliest map shows 130 acres of orange groves and the Bayview House where visitors boarded and socialized. In 1879, school began in Hawks' Park. William Hart, an orange grower, began classes in one of Dr. Hawks' small cottages. Later, a two-story wooden school was built. Classes were held on the first story and the upper floor was used as a community room. In 1910, this burned down and the men of the town built another school out of blocks made of river shell and cement. It was called the Betsy Ross School and was used until 1917, when the children of Hawks' Park went to New Smyrna to school. Mail and supplies came to Hawks' Park by steamboat. Transportation was by horse and buggy and a few bicycles. People mostly walked where they wanted to go. In the early 1890s, the railroad was extended to Hawks' Park. There were two main meeting places where the town folks gathered - the flow well at the east end of Park Avenue and the long steamboat dock in front of the Bayview House. On October 24, 1924, the name of the town was changed to Edgewater by an act of the Florida State Legislature. The name referred to the town's location at the edge of Mosquito Lagoon. In 1925, an election was held and H.W. Mitchell was elected mayor. Through the years, many new improvements to Edgewater were made. A hospital called "The Shelter" (the only hospital on the East Coast of Florida from St. Augustine to Key West), a crab factory and a store opened that offered home delivery. A larger post office opened and offered mail services. Bees could not be kept within the city limits, but remained a good business. Tropical Blossom Honey Company opened for business and began shipping honey to many foreign countries. Loveland Groves began shipping fruit all over the United States. In 1944, the population was about 500. In the early 1950s, the community center was started. It was to be built with the volunteer labor of the elder men. The task became too great for them, so the Volunteer Fire Department of Edgewater came to the rescue and finished the building. In 1959, a new City Hall was bu Edgewater (386) 424-2400 PO Box 100 Edgewater, FL 32132-0100 1924 Volusia 104 N Riverside Dr Edgewater, FL 32132-1716 20737
source city name title Homestead Patricia Fairclough- McCormick Councilwoman Lady Lake Katherine Oster Director of Finance Chiefland Grady Hartzog City Manager Edgewood Judy Beardslee Council President Fruitland Park Stephen J. Cottrell, Interim City Manager Haines City Ken C. Sauer City Manager Lake Park Vivian M. Mendez Town Clerk West Park West Park Mayor West Park West Park Vice Mayor West Park West Park Commissioner West Park West Park City Administrator West Park West Park City Clerk Weston Weston Mayor Weston Weston Commissioner Weston Weston City Manager Weston Weston City Clerk Weston Weston Chief Financial Officer Westville Westville Mayor Westville Westville Town Clerk Wewahitchka Wewahitchka Mayor Wewahitchka Wewahitchka Commissioner Wewahitchka Wewahitchka City Manager Wewahitchka Wewahitchka City Clerk White Springs White Springs Mayor White Springs White Springs Vice Mayor White Springs White Springs Councilmember White Springs White Springs Town Manager White Springs White Springs Town Clerk White Springs White Springs Director of Finance Wildwood Wildwood Mayor Wildwood Wildwood Mayor pro tem Wildwood Wildwood Commissioner Wildwood Wildwood City Manager Wildwood Wildwood City Clerk Wildwood Wildwood Chief Financial Officer Williston Williston Mayor Williston Williston Council President Williston Williston Council Vice President Williston Williston Councilor Williston Williston City Manager Williston Williston City Clerk Wilton Manors Wilton Manors Mayor Wilton Manors Wilton Manors Vice Mayor Wilton Manors Wilton Manors Commissioner Wilton Manors Wilton Manors City Manager Wilton Manors Wilton Manors City Clerk Wilton Manors Wilton Manors Director of Finance Windermere Windermere Mayor Windermere Windermere Councilmember Windermere Windermere Town Manager Windermere Windermere Town Clerk Winter Garden Winter Garden Mayor Winter Garden Winter Garden Commissioner Winter Garden Winter Garden City Manager Winter Garden Winter Garden City Clerk Winter Garden Winter Garden Director of Finance Winter Haven Winter Haven Mayor Winter Haven Winter Haven Mayor pro tem Winter Haven Winter Haven Commissioner Winter Haven Winter Haven City Manager Winter Haven Winter Haven City Clerk Winter Haven Winter Haven Director of Financial Services Bay Harbor Islands Isaac Salver Mayor Tampa Bob Buckhorn Mayor Mulberry Andy Scrocca Commissioner Howey-in-the-Hills Gray Robinson, P.A. of Orlando Attorney Temple Terrace Melissa E. Small City Clerk North Miami North Miami Vice Mayor Orange Park Orange Park Councilwoman Bay Harbor Islands Alberto Ruder Councilmember Bay Harbor Islands Robert H. Yaffe Councilmember Mulberry George Hatch Mayor Polk City Joe La Cascia Mayor Seminole Robert Matthews Councilor Lake Alfred Jack Dearmin Mayor Lake Alfred Nancy Z. Daley Vice Mayor Lake Alfred Charles Lake Commissioner Sneads Connie Butts Town Manager Sunny Isles Beach Minal Shah Director of Finance Alachua Alachua Mayor Alachua Alachua Vice Mayor Alachua Alachua Commissioner Alachua Alachua City Manager Alachua Alachua Deputy Clerk Alachua Alachua Director of Finance Clermont Timothy Bates Councilmember Destin Sarah "Sam" Seevers Mayor Dundee Paul A. Stewart Town Manager Dania Beach Chickie Brandimarte Commissioner Hypoluxo Leonard Rubin Attorney Juno Beach Leonard Rubin Attorney North Palm Beach Leonard Rubin Attorney Punta Gorda Sue Foster City Clerk Sewall's Point Robert Kellogg Town Manager Caryville Nora Curry Council Co-Chair Caryville Debra Pugh Councilmember Caryville James Taylor Councilmember Coconut Creek Marilyn Gerber Mayor Coconut Creek Mikkie Belvedere Vice Mayor Coconut Creek Lisa K. Aronson Commissioner
March 2014
Permalink Hide details Show details 1395006780.144113_c5147be5-3bc8-451b-af11-3f93efdfe584 22:16, 16 March 2014 1394917522.919938_93aeb35b-534a-4794-9948-97a2a47f9bae 21:52, 15 March 2014 1394830856.741719_4089eab6-4906-4665-9295-de241796cf1c 21:01, 14 March 2014 1394725037.069114_54ab5802-2151-4467-9008-4bfd7d98c198 16:08, 13 March 2014 1394635885.118440_48de2e47-b3a5-452f-8faa-99aa31cc7c4a 15:36, 12 March 2014 1394549439.937405_9ae2e58e-e2a0-4c01-8d56-61d71ff06ab2 14:51, 11 March 2014 1394549439.607331_8c345a75-5e0d-4a64-a51e-ce8d198c7e27 14:50, 11 March 2014 1394459679.258171_799edc0c-2288-4810-a7c3-2b16a66522aa 13:54, 10 March 2014 1394352255.232242_8b93eeaf-67cb-435f-b042-c62e16966770 08:04, 9 March 2014 1394263511.431067_fd74e7b8-6b7f-444f-94b8-28f61b9b1c54 08:03, 8 March 2014
Run succeeded: - ran 10 times, most recently for 0 seconds (412 scraped pages, 4059 records) 22:16, 16 March 2014


June 2013
Hide first version Show first version 0 16:40, 6 June 2013
Edited by Zach 16:40, 6 June 2013


Difference between, revision and previous revision